The image you’ve built in your head is the perfect home—now you need the right person to turn that dream into reality.
If you’re ready to build that dream home but don’t know where to start, read on! We’ll help you find the right home builder for your project in Charlottesville. Plus, learn what to do before and during the construction process to keep your project moving smoothly.
What to do Before Contacting a Builder
Before you pick up your phone to make that first contact, there are a few things you should do.
You want to work with a builder who has a good reputation, someone you can trust, and someone who understands your style. Do your homework:
- Research. A Google search is always a good way to start. By starting a search online, you can determine who works in your area and look at their reviews. Once you’ve narrowed down your options, check out the builders’ websites and portfolios. They also might post project photos on social media that provide a good idea of their style.
- Get referrals. Talk to family and friends you know who built their houses. What did they like about the experience? What would they have changed? How was the builder’s personality? How did the builder handle problems on site?
- Consider style. You have a specific image in mind for your home. Look at what a builder has produced and determine if it meets your style. See what you can find online and drive by homes they recently built.
It might seem like a lot of work up front, but it will be worth it! You want to be comfortable with the person building your dream home.
What to do During Contacting a Builder
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential builders, reach out. Be sure to create a list of questions and concerns so you don’t forget anything!
When you are ready to contact a builder:
- Have a conversation. Schedule a call or a meeting with a builder to ask questions. Discuss important aspects of the project, such as budget, timeline, and materials. How does the builder prefer to communicate? Will the main builder be accessible during the project?
- Take a tour. Ask the builder if you can tour homes they built. If possible, look at a recent home and an older home. Check out the materials they used, the quality of the craftsmanship, and the style.
- Share your vision. Explain what you envision for your home. Show them images of similar styles or materials you want. Ask if they have any concerns.
- Ask for references. Speaking with former clients can give you an idea of how past projects evolved. A builder should be able to provide a list of references for you when asked.
What to do During the Construction Process
As Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part! You’re ready to get into this new home, but the construction process takes time. Here are some things you can do to help things move along:
- Learn more. One of the biggest ways a homeowner can move the project forward is to educate themselves about home construction. Learn more about the steps in the process, timeline, materials, etc. It will improve communication with the builder.
- Communicate. It’s important for you to be accessible. Stay on top of the project, be available when the builder has questions, and don’t hesitate to ask your own questions.
- Stick to deadlines. There are certain parts of the home building process that require your input along the way. Meet your builder’s deadlines and make prompt decisions to keep the project moving.
- Understand changes happen. It’s impossible to complete a project this big and not run into changes. It might be something you have changed, a change in timeline, difficulty getting materials, etc. Know that this is normal, and understand that it impacts the project timeline.
How can a Real Estate Agent Help During Home Construction
You’re not buying a home, you’re building one. Do you need a real estate agent?
YES! Whether buying or building, your real estate agent represents you and your interests. Choose a real estate agent before your first visit to the construction site, and bring them with you. The builder will need to know at the start of the process that they are responsible for commission.
Working with a real estate agent will help you negotiate things like perks or upgrades to your home. The agent can also offer advice on financing options and walk through the inspection process with you.
The biggest advantage is knowing you have someone working on your side to keep the process moving smoothly.
Contact our real estate agents at Denise Ramey today so we can represent you during your home building process!